Friday, April 16, 2010

Claims that sexisim drives girls away from Computer Science are feminist bullshit.

http://harmful.cat-v.org/political-correctness/

Driving Girls Out of Computer Science

Note: This comment was posted to a reddit thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/afc0z) by user lbzip2 but has since been deleted and is preserved here for posterity.

I'll just jump the shark. I feel sick and irritated today, so I won't pretend political correctness.

Fuck this feminist, sexist shit.

First, I am the most orderly developer you could ever meet. My desk is absolutely clean. Everything has a well defined technical purpose there. Whenever I leave, those purposes cease to exist so I eagerly remove or put away those objects. I could walk in any day, pick up my desktop and get seated anywhere else.

"computer games, science-fiction memorabilia and junk food"?! Fuck that, who cares about that shit anyway? I might have a clean mug, but I ain't never have no fucking plant. How could I be the nit-picking detail-obsessing code freak I am if I was careless with my physical environment in the functional domain? (I don't give a shit about aesthetics, most of the time.) Some of my colleagues' desks seem to be covered with pig shit, and I don't cease chiding them for it.

I treat my female coworkers with respect, I politely discuss technical stuff with them if they feel like. I do make sexist jokes if I was able to get to know them sufficiently before, like any healthy male. They mostly laugh and if they don't, I apologize and tune it down. They don't refrain from spicy topics, we even discuss that kind. My wife's male coworkers behave the same way and I have no problem with that. American overdriven political correctness shall get the fuck off my lawn.

"Missing out on best career opportunities?" Well, concentrate on the fucking task at hand, not irrelevant details. Suppose I'd like to work in a fuckin' bakery but hate that the clothes are white (which doesn't mean in the least that they are clean). So who will start a crusade for me? If the circumstances of your otherwise coveted dream-job are accidental, try to change them. If they are intrinsic, live with them or leave.

I was never hostile towards women in IT. Women consider sexist jokes repugnant in conference presentations? Well, I don't go to no fucking conference, because I hate to travel, I hate to spend money, I hate the crowd. Networking is a lie if you don't work with your peers on actual projects for longer times. Presentations are slow, linear, non-searchable. Give me a fucking transcript, post it to reddit, and I'm happy. Can't recommend anything else to women either.

In my college class we had this beautiful girl with huge boobs. She was smarter than any guy in the whole class. Did we envy her? Did we hate her? Hell no. We respected her and we constantly tried to bring her in discussions for her insights. Did we talk about her body among ourselves? Hell yes, we're no monks!

The fact is, most girls cannot not care about stuff that's irrelevant in computer science / software engineering, and also lack the necessary attention to detail. They are simply not interested in it. Guess what, they have no place here, just like I could never be a historian or translator or lawyer or doctor, because I hate meeting new people. I'm not "enforcing" this or some shit like that, I simply accept that most girls are like this for whatever reason and I'm not trying to force them into IT. I'd rather be happy if some guys left software development. (Yeah, yeah, I'm conflating IT with compsci / sweng, who cares now.)

I practically don't shave, but I'm clean. I never ever stink. I'm not attractive to women I guess, but I don't give a flying fuck. I've got a beautiful, intelligent, loving wife; I don't need to pretend. I wear sandals with socks because shoes are much too warm in the summer, and without socks I sweat like a pig. Don't like it? Have a good laugh; I don't care. I put on (clean) clothing items that are on the top of the respective stacks in my wardrobe. Are you a female who'd like to work as a software developer but you feel you cannot work with me because of my inconsistent clothing? Be a fucking fashion model, then. I never treat, I never even feel an urge to treat female colleagues negatively because they aren't slender, young, or clothe "gray".

There is no problem with girls in IT. They're mostly not here because they don't want to. Pick any female-dominated non-sex-worker job. Yay, who is protecting the poor shunned males? American media is blowing this shit out of proportion again. (Or if the surveys are right, then american girls are out of their minds, which might be true anyways, with requiring an expensive as hell diamond ring for wedding, or so I read. WHAT THE FUCK?!)

The whole issue is being overcompensated now. On some technical forum I've seen somebody ask for advice on whatever. Another user replied with a link to women.debian.org. What the fuck? Do we have "men.debian.org"? If you're no different wrt. technical matters, then you need no different website. If you need different treatment, then don't be surprised if you're treated differently.

I'm tired of this shit.
Powered by werc

No comments: